Vegetarian diet: menu, benefits and harm
Vegetarian diet lately increasingly in demand. For some reason, it is believed that the transition to vegetarianism can get rid of excess weight and many health problems. Perhaps stereotypes have developed this way: do not eat fatty foods – you lose weight, you exclude meat from the diet – you live longer. Undoubtedly, meat is rich in cholesterol and saturated fats., excessive use of which may harm the body. But the fact is that vegetarianism is not a diet, it is a way of life that entails a refusal to eat the food of animal origin. And in order to lose weight, one refusal from meat will not be enough, because people who do not eat it can easily afford sweets, chips, and various sauces, and other high-calorie foods. That is why a special diet has been developed, which will help to get rid of extra pounds while observing the principles of vegetarianism. Reviews about this diet are very controversial because it has both supporters and opponents, who argue that the complete rejection of protein food will cause irreparable harm to the body. But those who practice vegetarianism as a way of life, absolutely disagree with them.
TYPES AND BENEFITS OF VEGETARIANISM
Many people think that a vegetarian diet was invented specifically for vegetarians, but this is not entirely true. The fact is that there are several varieties of vegetarianism, which prohibit the use of a particular food, depending on the beliefs. For example, vegetarians do not eat meat exclusively, many of them due to humane and ideological considerations. But milk and cottage cheese are still in their diet., eggs and other, so-called killing-free, products. Now they are also called lacto-vegetarians or Lacto vegetarians. More rigid veganism excludes absolutely all products of animal origin, including those without killing. There is also a raw food diet, which allows you to eat raw foods that have not undergone heat treatment since it is believed that temperatures above 46 degrees are destructive for enzymes – enzymes that speed up metabolism. There is also fruitarianism, the followers of which eat only fruit.
In any case, the main food of vegetarians is and remains plant food. Of course, this food is less calorie and contains the least amount of fat than protein foods. Eating fruits and vegetables has a positive effect on the body, as they are rich in valuable fiber, useful minerals, and vitamins. Plant food is good for strengthening the body’s immune system. In addition, by abandoning animal food, it is possible to improve the work of the heart, to clean the vessels, to establish the blood supply to the brain.
Such a diet will be useful for people with diabetes, as it can be used to normalize the level of glucose in the blood. Among vegetarians, there are fewer people prone to hypertension and cancer. The risk of developing a stroke or heart attack is also underestimated.
In addition, vegetarianism can bring other benefits to the body:
- contributes to the normalization of the digestive system;
- cleanses the body of dangerous toxins and harmful toxins;
- restores the intestinal microflora;
- improves mood and energizes;
- reduces phosphorus, thus preventing the development of kidney disease.
BASIC PRINCIPLES AND TYPES OF VEGETARIAN DIET
The vegetarian diet in its principles in many respects resembles Christian posts. Most likely, many have come across them and know what they mean by themselves. The essence of this diet is to refuse to eat the meat of animals and birds, fish and seafood. Its rules are based on more gentle Lacto-vegetarianism, which is allowed to eat dairy products and eggs. Thus, this principle of weight loss is suitable even for those who first decided to abandon meat dishes. In addition, if it is still very difficult to part with the meat, then at first you can create your own menu for 2 weeks, which will include a small amount of it. Then gradually reduce its entry into the diet until complete exclusion.
The basic rules of a vegetarian diet:
- exclude from the diet of meat, fish, and seafood;
- not to give up dairy products and poultry eggs to compensate for the lack of vitamin B12 ;
- eat foods of plant origin: berries, vegetables, fruits, greens, cereals, nuts, beans, whole grain or bran bread;
- dairy products should contain a small amount of fat;
- for salad dressing use lemon juice or vegetable oil;
- during the diet you need to drink at least two liters of pure mineral water without gas;
- minimize the use of sweet, salty, roasted, various types of preservation and pickles.
The duration of such a diet can be 1 week, 2 weeks and even a month. Longer adhere to the principles of such nutrition is not recommended. If after the first week the results are completely satisfactory, then it can be limited to this period. If there is a desire to extend the diet – use a two-week meal plan.
Eating on such a diet is necessary three times a day, and for breakfast, it is better to take time from 7 to 9 in the morning, to have lunch in the interval from 11 to 13 o’clock in the afternoon, and for dinner to leave time from 16 to 18 hours. After six o’clock in the evening is, as on any other diet, is prohibited. Allowed only a small snack before bedtime in the form of any unsweetened fruit or glass of low-fat fermented milk product. If you really want to eat in between the main meals, you can eat an apple, a small number of nuts or seeds.
Exit from the diet should also not be sharp, but gradual. Especially when it lasted more than 2 weeks. To do this, you can first enter more fatty dairy products, then you can add fish to your diet. About the third or fourth day, you can try to boil a small piece of lean meat, better chicken, turkey or beef.
A vegetarian diet is of several kinds. And depending on what results you want to get, you need to choose one or another kind of power system:
- Lacto-vegetarian diet – allows you to eat dairy and fermented milk products;
- Lacto-vegetarian diet – characterized by adding to the diet only milk as a source of calcium ;
- lacto-ovo-vegetarian diet – the principle of weight loss, which allows for the use in food of dairy products and eggs of domestic birds;
- vegetarian diet for athletes – based on a balanced and strict distribution of proteins, carbohydrates, and fats ;
- vegetarian protein diet – involves eating large amounts of protein, which is mainly found in dairy products, legumes, seeds, nuts, eggs, and so on.
SAMPLE MENU FOR A WEEK VEGETARIAN DIET
This menu is exemplary, that is, based on it you can make your own plan for losing weight. Supporters of veganism can remove from the diet of eggs and dairy products, adding more plant foods. However, when preparing your own menu for the week, you should not increase the portions, as the weight loss system is aimed at reducing the daily calorie intake. Reviews have grown thin say that using such a vegetarian diet can be easily and without much effort to lose up to 4 kg per week.
- 08.00 – 150 grams of buckwheat or oatmeal with milk, 200 grams of any low-fat fermented milk product;
- 12.00 – 200 grams of vegetable soup, 200 grams of fresh vegetables, seasoned with lemon juice or olive oil, a slice of rye or whole-grain bread;
- 17.00 – 200 grams of vegetables cooked in a double boiler, 150 grams of boiled brown rice.
- 08.00 – two boiled eggs, a slice of rye or bran bread, a tomato and low-fat cheese;
- 12.00 – 200 grams of celery salad with cheese and apples, seasoned with lemon juice or olive oil;
- 17.00 – 150 grams of zucchini caviar, two medium baked potatoes, two slices of whole-grain bread.
- 08.00 – 150 grams of rice milk soup, two pears, 150 grams of low-fat yogurt without additives;
- 12.00 – 200 grams of soy soup with tofu, 150 grams of stewed or steamed vegetables, a sesame bun, a small orange ;
- 17.00 – 200 grams of stewed mushrooms with onions and vegetables.
- 08.00 – one hard-boiled egg, half a cucumber, parsley, a slice of bran bread, a glass of low-fat fermented milk product;
- 12.00 – two small apples, 200 grams of pepper stuffed with rice and vegetables;
- 17.00 – two small potatoes boiled in a “uniform”, 150 grams of boiled green beans, two small tomatoes.
- 08.00 – 100 grams of oatmeal with milk, 200 grams of any low-fat fermented milk product;
- 12.00 – 200 grams of soup from lentils and beans, cabbage salad with carrots, seasoned with lemon juice or vegetable oil;
- 17.00 – 250 grams of vegetable stew.
- 08.00 – 100 grams of low-fat cottage cheese, 150 grams of low-fat fermented milk product, 100 grams of fresh berries;
- 12.00 – 200 grams of lean borscht, 150 grams of vegetable vinaigrette, one small apple;
- 17.00 – 150 grams of stewed cabbage with mushrooms, two slices of rye or whole-grain bread, 200 grams of low-fat fermented milk product.
- 08.00 – 150 grams of low-fat drinking yogurt without additives, one small orange, 150 grams of cottage cheese casserole;
- 12.00 – 200 grams of pearl barley porridge with milk, 150 grams of cauliflower and olive oil salad, 200 grams of tomato juice ;
- 17.00 – 200 grams of vegetable casserole with potatoes, 150 grams of asparagus cooked in a double boiler.
SAMPLE MENU FOR A MONTH VEGETARIAN DIET
Those who are confident in their abilities and want to continue the vegetarian lifestyle further should pay attention to a special method for losing weight, oriented for a period of one month. You can continue to stick to the previous menu, starting again every week and looping it that way. Or try to make your own plan for losing weight, based on the options below.
- natural freshly brewed coffee, 2 slices of rye bread, 150 grams of fresh berries;
- freshly squeezed fruit juice, 2 slices of whole grain bread, grapefruit or orange;
- 250 grams of low-fat milk and bran bun ;
- juice of pineapple, fruit salad, cornbread ;
- cottage cheese casserole or 150 grams of low-fat cottage cheese, plain drinking yogurt, orange;
- natural freshly brewed coffee or tea, carrot casserole, apple, a slice of bran bread;
- green tea, oatmeal on kefir or milk.
- 150 grams of bean stew, some asparagus, herbal tea;
- rice casserole with broccoli or cauliflower, orange, mixed vegetables with olives, seasoned with lemon juice or vegetable oil;
- 100 grams of rice with stewed vegetables, pear;
- potato casserole with vegetables, salad from fresh vegetables and greens, fresh juice, apple;
- two slices of rye bread, vegetable salad, seasoned with lemon juice or olive oil;
- vegetable carrot cutlet, 150 grams of rice, grapefruit or orange;
- baked green beans, 200 grams of cabbage salad with carrots, savory fruit;
- buckwheat with vegetables, fruit platter.
- rye bread with vegetables, compote, any fruit;
- 150 grams of low-fat cottage cheese, vegetable juice;
- one hard-boiled egg, 250 grams of low-fat fermented milk product;
- sweet pilaf with prunes and dried apricots, green tea with honey ;
- 150 grams of oatmeal, omelet with sea kale, black tea;
- buckwheat porridge with mushrooms;
- potato casserole with asparagus, mushrooms, zucchini and, tomatoes.
HARM AND CONTRAINDICATIONS OF A VEGETARIAN DIET
This method of weight loss is contraindicated during pregnancy and lactation, in childhood and adolescence. It is not worth resorting to its help for people who have undergone heavy operations or undergo a rehabilitation process after an illness. Also, it is not necessary to use such a food system in case of exacerbation of chronic diseases or deterioration of health. Before you go on a vegetarian diet, you should consult with your doctor or dietitian.
ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES OF A VEGETARIAN DIET
Reviews losing weight suggest that in a week such a diet can lose up to 4 kilograms of weight, provided that absolutely all principles are followed. As a rule, almost all lose 2 kilograms. In addition to such a remarkable effect, during the time of losing weight, you can improve your health and cleanse the body, speed up the metabolism, and improve overall health. There are a lot of allowed products, so it will not take a lot of time to search and cook them. Also, a vegetarian diet helps sharpen the mind and has a positive effect on longevity.
The disadvantages of a vegetarian diet,
Vegetarianism is a way of life of quite a large number of people who, for one reason or another, prefer to refuse to eat animal products. However, this does not prevent them from looking good, being slim and fit. Based on the diet of their food, a vegetarian diet was invented, which provides for the disposal of food from meat products for a while. Due to this, the body is cleansed, the work of the cardiovascular and circulatory systems is improved, it has a beneficial effect on the nervous system. Reviews of many people who have tried such a food system indicate that they have significantly improved sleep decreased nervousness, lightness and a significant charge of energy appeared in the body. In addition, with the help of such a diet, you can easily lose a few pounds of excess weight.