How to quickly cure a sore throat at home?
A sore throat is a disease that develops as a result of the ingestion of pathogens causing acute inflammation in the nasopharynx. Most often, it affects such important organs of the lymphatic system as the tonsils.
This organ, which is an accumulation of lymphoid tissue, is an important barrier to the various pathogens, taking on the flow of inhaled air
Participating in the protection of the body against the penetration of microbes, the tonsils are an important part of the immune system. But, under certain unfavorable circumstances, they can become inflamed, and a sore throat occurs.
How to identify it and how to treat we will talk in this article.
Causes of tonsillitis
A sore throat is a disease that requires special attention since its course is dangerously different complications. Therefore, the choice of treatment method should be effective and proven.
The main causes of a sore throat:
- The presence of an infectious agent that is chronic in nature, for example, a runny nose, sinusitis, a carious tooth. Under the influence of viruses in the nasopharynx, the tonsils are depleted and lose their protective resources.
- Bad habits such as smoking and alcoholism are also unfavorable factors. Constant irritation of the mucous membrane facilitates the penetration of microbes.
- Mechanical damage to too cold, spicy or hot foods can also contribute to the appearance of the disease.
But in addition to local effects on the tonsils, there are also indirect causes of the occurrence of this disease, which are associated with a general decrease in immunity:
- Sedentary lifestyle.
- Lack of sleep and stress, chronic diseases and metabolic disorders. All these factors contribute to a gradual decrease in immunity.
- Excess protein in the diet overloads the lymphatic system, impairs its work, weakens the body’s resistance to pathogens
Signs of a sore throat
You can determine a sore throat by the following features:
- Redness – a reaction to irritating pathogens.
- Puffiness Occurs due to an overabundance of plasma.
- A sore throat that develops on the background of puffiness, which irritates the nerve endings. Difficulty in swallowing.
- Increased temperature, the whitish plaque on the tonsils.
- Enlarged lymph nodes, determined by palpation.
- Severe weakness
- Increased sweating.
- Lack of appetite on the background of general weakness.
- Temperature rise.
Types of a sore throat
A sore throat can have various types, among which there are several main ones, such as:
- Lacunar angina. Tonsils with this type of a sore throat are usually affected by pathogens in the lacunae region.
- Subsequently, purulent plaque can spread directly to the tonsils, causing severe pain in the throat. Manifested in the form of indisposition, fever, and swelling of the tonsils. Treatment of lacunar tonsillitis takes 6 to 8 days.
- Phlegmonous. This type of disease is a side effect of a classic sore throat when the tonsils swell again in the process of treatment, and the soft palate becomes red and inflamed.
- A catarrhal sore throat. It is characterized by rapid development and proceeds with appropriate treatment from 3 to 7 days.
- A follicular sore throat. This type of a sore throat is most prevalent and is easily determined by characteristic signs, the main one being the accumulation of fibrinous exudate. At the same time, the mucosa swells, and a whitish coating appears on the surface of the tonsils, concentrating on the gaps. Such foci of infection can be located separately or merge with each other, affecting large parts of the mucus. The duration of treatment of follicular angina is from 6 to 8 days.
- Necrotic angina. In the case of the development of this type of disease on the surface of the tonsils, one can see rather large sections of tissue affected by a hilly gray-green bloom. The lesions in the development process are impregnated with fibrin and noticeably compacted. After their removal, there is severe bleeding.
- Herpetic angina. Most often, this type of disease occurs in children. This disease is caused not by Streptococcus, but by the Coxsackie A virus is very contagious. In some cases, carriers of the virus can be pets.
What complications can a sore throat cause?
If you miss the time and do not start timely treatment, then a sore throat can cause serious complications. As a rule, they are all associated with the influence of pathogenic microbes on other organs and can manifest themselves in the form of:
- otitis media;
- the development of rheumatic phenomena, including rheumatic heart muscle lesions;
- kidney damage, leading to the development of pyelonephritis (inflammation of the renal pelvis);
- joint damage,
- septic lesions.
Treatment of a sore throat
Treatment in each case should be prescribed by a doctor. Therefore, at the first signs of the disease, you should immediately see the doctor, visiting the district therapist or calling the doctor at home. As a rule, the disease is caused by streptococci, which can be eliminated with the help of modern antibiotics such as penicillin, as well as the drugs in its group (ampicillin, phenoxymethylpenicillin, benzathine benzylpenicillin).
In the case of penicillin allergy, drugs from the group of cephalosporins, such as Duracef, Biodroxyl, can be prescribed.
But if you do not have the opportunity to consult a specialist, you can try to use the recommendations given below.
Home remedies for a sore throat
One of the most famous ways to cure a sore throat at home is gargling with water and soda. To prepare the solution for rinsing need 1 tsp. soda mix with a glass of warm water. You can add a few drops of iodine. This method quickly helps relieve acute symptoms and reduce a sore throat. To carry out the procedure is several times a day.
In addition to this method, there are other recipes for gargling that help in case of a sore throat. For example:
- 5 drops of Kalanchoe mix with a glass of warm boiled water. Rinse 3-4 times a day.
- 3 times a day, gargle with a solution of honey and water. It is enough to take 1 tsp. honey and 1 cup of warm water. In the rinse, you can add a couple of drops of iodine.
- Infusion of eucalyptus, which can be prepared, Bay 1-2 tablespoons of dried leaves of a plant with a glass of hot water. Rinse every 2-3 hours.
- A quarter of a teaspoon of salt mixed in a glass of warm water with a pinch of soda and 2-3 drops of iodine. Rinse 3 times a day, in the morning at lunch and in the evening.
Other ways to quickly cure a sore throat
In addition to rinsing, you can use other methods to help quickly get rid of the disease.
For example, you can use a piece of lemon and honey to treat a sore throat. Since lemon contains essential oils and antibacterial properties, this method is effective. But it is worth remembering that lemon is an acidic product that can also irritate the mucous membranes.
From the old methods of treatment can be distinguished breath over steam from boiled potatoes
This inhalation should take place with the covered head for 5-10 minutes. As an alternative, you can use a modern nebulizer. You can also breathe over a hot solution of soda.
Compresses are very important in the treatment of angina, they warm the chest and neck, which helps to destroy the infection. In addition to pharmaceutical warming agents, there are similar methods of traditional medicine, for example:
- Alcohol compress. For its preparation is to mix cold boiled water and medical alcohol in the ratio of 1: 1.
- Potato compress. Pre-boil the potatoes and crush in the gruel, place in a gauze bag and allow to cool slightly to an acceptable temperature. If desired, add a few drops of vegetable oil and iodine. This compress can be left on all night.
- Raw potatoes with vinegar. It is necessary to grate 3 small fruits on a grater, add 1 tbsp. vinegar, place in a cloth bag and attach to the throat. This method perfectly relieves inflammation.
- Cabbage leaves. It is necessary to impose on the throat whole sheets and wrap with a cloth. Change the compress every 1.5-2 hours.
In addition to the traditional treatment of a sore throat with antibiotics, there are a number of other rules that should be followed for a speedy recovery, these include:
- Drink plenty of water.
- Eating natural phytoncides for food is onions and garlic.
- Hot milk with honey is the most ancient and effective way to treat various colds, including a sore throat. In hot milk, you can add a small piece of butter.
In the process of recovery, special attention should be paid to nutrition. The following rules must be followed to strengthen the immune system and quickly get rid of infectious processes:
- Exclude from the diet of canned food, containing vinegar, dishes with high spice content, spicy food. These products can irritate the mucous membrane, and slow down the healing process.
- All products that you consume must undergo heat treatment. Most suitable boiled, baked or steamed dishes.
- Do not eat too hot or too cold. Also, it is recommended to avoid sudden changes in temperature (for example, drink cold milk after a hot meal).
- Reduce protein content. In the process of treatment, it is necessary to exclude foods rich in protein from the diet – meat, fish, bob, soy. Preference is better to give fresh vegetables and fruits.
It must be remembered that curing sore throat at home is possible only at the initial stage. At the first symptoms of the disease should consult a specialist. Also, if you have been prescribed a treatment, you should not forget about proper nutrition and drinking balance, since these are the main sources of increasing immunity and improving the general condition of the body.