Foot pain: Symptoms, Causes and treatment
Foot pain is a pain in the forefoot (in the area of the fingers). It is not a diagnosis, but a symptom of some inflammatory and degenerative diseases of the musculoskeletal system.
Symptoms of foot pain
- Intense pain in the arch of the foot, aggravated by walking.
- Increased pain under the phalanges of 2, 3 or 4 toes when walking barefoot.
- Discomfort when walking in shoes.
- Numbness and tingling in the toes.
- Swelling of the foot.
Causes of foot pain
- Intense physical exertion on the lower limbs (running, jumping, etc.)
- Foot deformity (flatfoot, valgus deformity, congenital foot anomaly).
- Wrong shoes (high heels, shoes with narrow toes, etc.)
- Fractures of the foot bones.
- Some diseases (diabetes mellitus with the development of diabetic foot, vascular insufficiency, aseptic necrosis of the foot
- bones, Morton’s neuralgia, etc.)
Foot pain risk factors
- More often men are ill.
- Large foot delusions, frequent foot injuries.
- Inflammatory diseases of the joints ( rheumatoid arthritis, gout, reactive arthritis, etc.).
- Oncopathology of the bone structure and soft tissues of the feet.
Foot pain complications
- Pain in the lumbar spine due to improper load on the lower limbs.
- Inflammation of the foot tendons, plantar nerve.
Foot pain diagnostics
Objective examination: palpation of the foot to determine the painful areas, the presence of swelling, the mobility of the foot.
Instrumental research methods
Radiography of the foot: to exclude pathology of the foot bones (fractures, deformities), which can also cause similar symptoms.
Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and computed tomography (CT): methods that allow you to get an image of the bones, soft tissues of the foot, tendons, ligaments, inflammation of the bone structure of the bone itself.
Ultrasound of soft tissues and joints of the foot and lower leg: localizes the pathological focus both in the joint and outside it. Detects the presence of excess fluid in the joints of the foot, tendon sheaths. The integrity of the tendons, ligaments of their functionality.
Foot pain treatment
At the initial stages of the manifestation of the disease, reducing the load on the footrest, the use of ice will be effective. Special orthopedic devices are also used to reduce the load on the foot (orthopedic insoles, etc.).
Choose the right shoes (not narrow, heel up to 3 cm). With the development of inflammation in the joints nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are prescribed, which reduce inflammation and reduce pain. Introduction of glucocorticoid intra-articular or tendon area.
Surgical treatment is used for the ineffectiveness of medication and other aids, also in the presence of a tumor or fracture of the metatarsal bones.
Help at home
- Relaxation. It is necessary to avoid physical exertion on the lower limbs, especially on the foot, for several days.
- A cold (ice) on the painful area will help reduce pain and swelling.
- Use orthopedic bandages to fix the foot.
- Locally on the painful areas of the foot gels and ointments with nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (medical gel, etc.)
- Foot pain prevention
- Normalization of overweight – a balanced diet,
- Wearing comfortable shoes, orthopedic insoles, bandages.
- Strengthening the muscular-ligamentous apparatus of the foot.
- Prevention of diseases of the joints of the lower extremities and the spine (timely detection of pathology and treatment).